Well hi welcome to my little blog. Just my little corner of craftiness, sewing, and refashioning. I am also a newly gluten free eater so you have a little bit of recipes mixed in here.

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Handmade Jewelry Thursday 7.28.11

Welcome to my 2nd installment of Handmade Jewelry Thursday. Pretty much an amusing attempt to make jewelry.


I had purchased this chain maille necklace kit a long time again. Its the helms pattern. I thought it would be cool to work with jump rings to make this cool necklace. Wow was I in for a surpise.

First of all when you get the hang of the pattern its not so bad. The directions are easy to follow, just towards the end it does get a little heavy and a little harder to work with!! Its 2 big rings, 2 small rings and then a floater ring. Repeat. That floater ring in my opinion, a 2 year old throwing a temper tantrum in the grocery store, its hard to deal with!

After this project was complete (at least it did not take me as long to make since it has been in my craft box for years!) I swore off jump rings. I do not have the panache with metal. Maybe I have not worked with metal enough to get a feel for it. But I would rather sew small seed beads onto fabric! Seriously.

Conclusion: I am a guru with a needle, not with pliers.

Once this project was done I wanted to add something else to it, just didn't want a chain maille necklace. In my bead stash I had these beautiful clear ab octagon beads that had jump rings on them!! Yeah!

I found the center of the necklace with a ruler and began attaching my gems.


Tada, easy necklace. More bling. :) Me likey!!


Note to self, give up the chain maille. Let the professionals do it!


XOXOXO,
Lauren

2 comments:

sew vala said...

have you ever tried byzantine weave? It was the first design I learnt and it looks cool when made in anodized aliminium, which come in a hugh arrange of colours. If you like funky, and bright. Also they are great to work with, the spring back is harder than silver so the rings stay closed, but much softer than titanium (which in my opinion looks real cool, but is hell to work with)

La La Lauren!!! said...

Not yet! I am going to wait to do another chainmalle project! Me and jump rings don't necessarily get a long!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...