Well hi welcome to my little blog. Just my little corner of craftiness, sewing, and refashioning. I am also a newly gluten free eater so you have a little bit of recipes mixed in here.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Sewing for Charity

Now if you read my 2012 New Years Resolutions one of the biggest things I want to do is get rid of my huge fabric stash. I talk of this fabric stash all the time b/c it is huge. I acquired some of this stash when I first moved into my 2 bedroom apt with my boyfriend, there was a lady selling material on craigslist that was more like clothing material (so knits, etc- things I really needed help sewing with) and she was selling it cheap. It was almost 60 boxes of fabric and it barely fit in my Honda Civic. I made the promise to my boyfriend I would sew with it and it would save us money. And it would keep me busy. Plus it was incredibly cheap ($60 for 60 boxes!!)!

So here is the picture when I was taking it home in my car. My trunk was filled to the brim. The interior of my car had boxes of fabric everywhere!

They had to be washed, I forgot how many loads of fabric I did. But I had to sort it all by colors, etc. My dinning room was an absolute diaster. Then I began to fold all the material and sort it out and get it in a closet or something. Here is a pile of fabric that did not make it to the closet.... yes it is that bad!
I could make a big couch of fabric and lay on it! This was how I began to put it away.

I have 1 suitcase under my bed, this is mostly knits-cotton....

Then in my second room's closet I have a extra large suitcase full next to my table. Plus the leftover fabric I can't put anywhere! And 2 bolts. The sad thing is this is cleaner than it has been! Yes that is Natasha posing. And some of that right there is refashions I am working on so it is not totally fabric. The box is my tshirt quilt I am not done yet too. And my boyfriend's trumpet. Poor guy!

In the closet I have several suitcases
leopard- is full of scraps, some of which I had acquired from the lady I bought it from
small bright pink is all my dance costumes in one space.... DOESNT COUNT!
blue one- is the dance sort of fabric I purchased before I even had a stash.
Large raspberry- more material some of my polyesters are in there
small raspberry- material and a mix of liner material, and silks/satins

And that is how I started 2011. With a lot of fabric!!! To my defense I sewed a bunch of fabric and gave it away to different people. It was a lot!

Now it is 2012 and I would really like to have the fabric out of sight. In 2011, yes I did learn how to sew more, I made a ton of things and I had a hairline fracture in my spine and a torn MCL in my knee. I was incredibly grateful b/c with either injury I did not have to have surgery. Physical therapy sucked. But no surgery. I stressed and worried about it for a while b/c I did not know what was going to happen. With all this that happened, I really felt like I was blessed and felt I should give back. But I'm broke still. I can't give money. I could give time but that sometimes is hard to come by. But I could give fabric. I started thinking and realized the best way for me right here and right now to give back would be to sew for charity. But what could I sew?

I began to research online different organizations that you could donate sewn items. And items that were in my realm of sewing. I am not a quilter by any means. I can't make like baby blankets. And I am not a knitter or crocheter. But after spending sometime online I found several websites that are in my area of sewing!

First I stumbled on Little dresses for Africa an organization that makes dresses for little girls in Africa. Melted my heart. All you have to do is make a pillowcase dress. Nancy of Sewing with Nancy actually provides a template and instructions on how to make one, even including a youtube video!

Then I also found a similar organization Dress a girl around the world also takes pillowcase dresses but additionally accepts other items like shorts for boys. And they go all over the world.. Another worthy organization!

But some of the fabric I have would be perfect for babies and children. And since I don't have any.... ;)
Bundles of love is an organization that gives baby clothing, blankets, diaper bags, etc to parents in need based out of Minnesota.

So there we have it. I have made my decisions. This year I plan on making 50 sewing donations. About 1 a week. Stay tuned for more information on my blog on tutorials and things I have made for these wonderful organizations. And maybe I can inspire some other people to give b/c honestly I feel like I don't need anything else. I have so much and just want to give to others who may not.

Happy New Years!

XOXOXO,
Lauren

1 comment:

The Renegade Seamstress said...

This a great idea!!!!! I usually sew and give things away to my friends and coworkers, but I like the idea of sewing for people in need.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...